My bug is ...

Set up PlayUp for fbx but exporting dae

Currently trying to export to Unreal Engine and I'm following all the settings that PlayUp recommends and while ti worked yesterday it's now exporting dae files while also stating that it's making an fbx file. What on earth is going on?

I'm trying figure out how to work out how the program needs to work with the others that I use - Photoshop, Unreal, et al. If I can't in the next 28 days, then I'm going to have to look elsewhere out of sheer necessity - something I don't want to do when there is program apparently very able of doing this and saving me from the insanity that is the conversion from SketchUp to Unreal.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    CathCath shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SomeNameSomeName commented  · 

I created a backup copy of my Sketchup file and wrote a Ruby script to rename all component and component instances. Now it exports successfully.

In general, I wouldn't expect the average user to be able to open up the ruby console, read a stack trace and understand that their file name was not parsed correctly - then proceed to write a script to rename hundreds of components.

Instead the PlayUp plugin should be updated to:

- Use popup dialogue boxes to display user friendly error messages.
        - Automatically validate file names.
        - Parse and escape illegal characters such as quotes.

In it's current state, without me writing my own plugin to do the above beforehand this plugin is unusable for my clients.

• SomeNameSomeName commented  · 

I am facing this issue as well. After opening the Ruby Console it appears it is because an entity / component has double quotes and single quotes in the title. Seems like someone doesn't validate their inputs and it crashes the plugin. Which is unfortunate, good coding practices should prevent this.

Now I have to figure out how to write a script to remove quotes from all of my HUNDREDS of entities / components. Which, I don't know if I want to bother. I just might move on and try to find an alternative to PlayUp, considering the first thing I try to do with it is broken.

• CathCath commented  · 

Thanks for that, it exports all the groups now nas fbx. However, the xml file in Unreal has stopped working. Should I start a new bug report for this new issue?

• NintariAdminNintari (Owner, PlayUp Tools) commented  · 

You have some characters the XML parser doesn't like in your component and group names. If you change the names of your groups and components, it should work.

• CathCath commented  · 

Just tried out an idea. This is what happens when I run the batch file manually (see below):

C:\Users\Catherine\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2017\SketchUp\Plugins\PlayUp\converter>meshconverter playupgrp0.dae playupgrp0.fbx -binary
        Autodesk FBX SDK version 2015.1 Release (228957)
        playupgrp0.dae:354451: parser error : xmlParseEntityRef: no name
        <node id="mesh1%END TABLE SHORT CUT PAPER CLIP BY JOHN A WEICK RA & AP LE
        ^
        playupgrp0.dae:354466: parser error : xmlParseEntityRef: no name
        ^
        playupgrp0.dae:354481: parser error : xmlParseEntityRef: no name
        ^
        playupgrp0.dae:354496: parser error : xmlParseEntityRef: no name
        ^
        playupgrp0.dae:354723: parser error : xmlParseEntityRef: no name
        <node id="mesh17%COFFEE TABLE RIGHT ANGLE UNEQUAL LEGS BY JOHN A WEICK RA &
        ^
        playupgrp0.dae:354738: parser error : xmlParseEntityRef: no name
        ^
        playupgrp0.dae:354753: parser error : xmlParseEntityRef: no name
        ^
        Call to FbxImporter::Initialize() failed.
        Error returned: Unable to parse xml/dae file

Call to LoadScene() failed.

C:\Users\Catherine\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2017\SketchUp\Plugins\PlayUp\converter>

• CathCath commented  · 

I tried all off that. No errors that I could see in SketchUp, but it didn't put out the fbx file, even though it said that it had. I ran the fbxconvert.bat file and that appeared to do nothing, even after waiting ten minutes to allow for a slow machine.

Sorry for not replying properly, I can't seem to find the "reply" button.

• NintariAdminNintari (Owner, PlayUp Tools) commented  · 

PlayUp always exports to DAE first, converts to FBX, and then cleans up the DAE files. If you are only seeing DAE files, something halted the process.

Try this:

1. Turn on "Logging from Ruby Console" by checking the Enabled checkbox in the Extensions > PlayUp Preferences > General tab.

2. Uncheck the box for "Clean up source files on export" in the Extensions > PlayUp Preferences > General tab.

3. Open Window > Ruby Console.

4. Click the level export button. Do you see any errors in the Ruby Console? Did you get a PlayUp export complete SketchUp window?

You will notice that in your export directory, there will be a special _PlayUp_Temp_Files folder. Open it and run fbxconvert.bat. Do you get an errors when you do?

Feedback and Knowledge Base