My bug is ...

Problem with Playup - Unreal

When exporting a grouped objects from sketchup playup, an fbx is generated. if we do not select "Combining Meshes" while importing the fbx into Unreal, the import will result in multiple small objects with different names, like Kitchen_mesh10, Kitchen_mesh11, Kitchen_mesh12.......etc. The xml file will not work because it will show an error saying "You are missing the asset called Kitchen_mesh.fbx. Please ensure that you have imported all of the fbx assets......."
However it works fine when "Combining Meshes", because it only generates a single Kitchen_mesh.fbx. But the whole point is we want to split the fbx into multiple pieces for easier texturing.

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SkySky shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • weber15weber15 commented  · 

Any luck with this? I'm getting the same error message and have Checked the "Combining Meshes" box upon import to Unreal. Using Skp 2017 with Unreal 4.15 so not sure if that's supported yet.

• Rusty 1001Rusty 1001 commented  · 

Just tried this as per the video posted by Nintari. Alas, same error message as reported by OP.

• Rusty 1001Rusty 1001 commented  · 

I am trying Playup for the first time, and I am having this problem too. Individual meshes are there; however, the Playup button has the error as above' namely, that the assets are not there. Like the original poster I would like to have individual meshes for texturing purposes.

• Anonymous commented  · 

This was driving me crazy! Thanks for identifying the "Combining Meshes" as the culprit!

• SkySky commented  · 

Hello, is there a solution to this?

• SkySky commented  · 

I think I imported individual meshes but not too sure, there are numerous of them, here is a screen capture of the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdU7REyrgKw
        This seems harder than i expected. I tried exporting different models in sketchup, a lot of them have the same problem.

• NintariAdminNintari (Owner, PlayUp Tools) commented  · 

Hm, I haven't seen this issue. The test scene in this video is not combining the meshes either and is pretty complex in the nesting structure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lBB232qS5k

Is it possible that you tried to import a version of the level file that was referencing a combined mesh instead of one that referenced the individual ones?

Feedback and Knowledge Base